Monday, April 20, 2020

Fish Tacos

Every time I think of fish tacos, I think of Dean from Supernatural.  If you are a fan, you know what I mean. 😂

I am not a fan of fish or any seafood.  However, I know that fish is good for me and I have been trying some.  I have always liked tuna and I like salmon when done properly.  I do not like cod because it feels too thick and rubbery.  I prefer a flaky fish.  For this recipe, as well as the pecan crusted tilapia, we use tilapia loins.  I really like those. 

Ingredients: 
Batter:
2 eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour, heaping
water as needed to loosen up the batter
1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning (we use our own concoction which I will post at another time)
2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt

Tacos:
small corn or flour tortillas (I personally prefer the flour with this)
3-4 tilapia fillets (There is enough batter that you could do more if you need)
avocado slices (optional)
shredded red cabbage (optional)
lime zest (optional)
grapeseed oil for frying (preferred frying oil)
preferred shredded cheese (we use a combination of Oaxaca cheese and quesadilla melting cheese; goat cheese would be good on these as well.)

Cream: 
1/4 cup crema
1/4 cup sour cream
juice of 1 lime
salt
pepper

Directions:
Heat up a skillet with oil for frying.
Dip fish fillets into batter, coating evenly.
Make sure oil is hot enough before tossing battered fish into the pan.  We use a laser thermometer after many other thermometers have been ruined in oil.  They just don't last long that way.  We use the minimum amount of oil on this recipe so there is no way to clip a thermometer on the side anyway. 
While this is happening, stir together the ingredients for the cream. 
When fish is cooked through, cut into bite size chunks and put in soft taco tortillas with preferred toppings. 


These are so good and I say that as someone who is EXTREMELY picky about seafood and fish.




No comments:

Post a Comment