Saturday, August 11, 2012

Salmon Cakes

This is a dish I actually got from my mom.  She used to cook this regularly when I was young and she still makes it now and then.  It had to be modified in order to be corn free but it was an easy modification that didn't change the taste at all.  This is also one of the foods I cook ahead and reheat for healthy lunches.  We are picky about what can be reheated but this is good.  You can also add fillers to them.  I think I will try shredding zucchini into them next time since we are currently on a zucchini kick.  Carrots?  Spinach?  Asparagus?  The possibilities are endless.  The ingredients and instructions below make five salmon cakes.  If you want to make more to have some for leftovers, it is easily doubled or tripled.  Five is the perfect amount for dinner for our little family of three.  This is also just a base which you could add vegetables to and stretch the amount made by the salmon alone.  However, just the base is good too.  I use what I have on hand for this dish.

Ingredients:
olive oil
2 pouches salmon (Canned works too, you just have to remove the bones)
2 eggs
Handful or two of crushed rice Chex cereal (Corn flakes work too.  This is the modification to my mom's original recipe.)
Crushed salted crackers (This could easily be gluten free by using gluten free salted crackers.  I have done this before too since I try to be as gluten free as possible.  There are only a few brands which are corn free so corn free trumps gluten free.)

Directions:
Mix salmon, eggs, crushed rice Chex and any filler vegetables in a bowl.  If it isn't sticking together, add another egg.  Make patties with the mixture and roll to coat in the crushed crackers.  In a skillet, heat olive oil. When the olive oil is hot, add the salmon cakes to the oil.  Cook on both sides until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment