Thursday, December 27, 2012

25 Books of Christmas

I saw this idea on Pinterest, of course.  It is called the 25 books of Christmas.  You wrap up 25 books and you open one with your kid(s) each night of December through Christmas Day.  I did this for my two year old.  I bought used books at a local used book store and found a pack of Christmas books through Scholastic for a great price.  (Although, not all of the books were Christmas books.  That is just a lot of Christmas.  I just looked for age appropriate.)  I spent $0.25-$1.00 on each book so it wasn't expensive and I won't feel too bad if my girl rips some pages.  (We are still working on how to treat books with paper pages instead of strong board pages.)

Good news...  This was tons of fun and my toddler has built up a great library.  Bad news... SO. MANY. BOOKS!  So, I will be modifying this for next year.  Next year we will just do 25 days of Christmas.  Some nights will be crafts, some nights will be making a Christmas treat and some nights will be books.  It's a perfect mix.




For those who are interested, I did keep a list of the books I gave L. Some days have more than one book because I ended up with a surplus going overboard on books with great prices.  I am also a bit of a book addict myself.

25 books of Christmas:
1. The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore (I ended up with two copies of this so this is on the list twice. Both were illustrated by different illustrators so they were different to a two year old.)
2. Big Red Fire Engine by Rose Greydanus
3. Bible Stories (x3): Noah's Ark, Daniel and the Lion's Den, David and Goliath
4. Dinosaur Olympics
5. On Top of Spaghetti by Tom Glazer (L loved the books that were actually songs.  She loves to try to sing and loves to listen to others sing.)
6. Owlbert by Nicholas Harris
7. Puff the Magic Dragon by Pete Yarrow and Lenny Lipton
8. The Big Snowball by Wendy Chayette Lewison
9. Antarctica by Helen Cowcher
10. Baby Donald Makes a Snowfriend by Marilyn J. Sapienza
11. A Very Special Snowflake by Don Hoffman
12. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by Barbara Shook Hazen
13. The Twelve Days of Christmas: A Christmas Carol
14. The Littlest Angel by Charles Tazewell
15. Baby Kermit's Christmas by Louise Gikow
16. Spot's Christmas by Eric Hill
17. Disney's Pooh: How to Catch a Heffalump
18. Disney's 101 Dalmations
19. One Mitten by Kristine O'Connell George & Corduroy's Christmas Surprise by Don Freeman
20. Snow Day by Joan Holub & I Love Christmas by Hans Wilhelm
21. The Twelve Cats of Christmas by Kevin Whitlark
22. Merry Christmas Grumpy Bunny by Justine Korman & Pocket's Christmas Wish by Ann Bonwill and Russell Julian
23. Clifford's Christmas by Norman Bridwell & Santa Duck and His Merry Helpers by David Milgram & A Silly Snowy Day by Michael Coleman
24. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore (This one was wrapped up with her Christmas pajamas.)
25. Curious George Snowy Day by H.A. Rey & Merry Christmas Curious George by H.A. Rey

No comments:

Post a Comment