Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Pecan Crusted Tilapia

I will start by saying, I am not a fan of fish.  I am not a fan of any seafood for that matter.  However, I do experiment now and then with certain fish.  Tilapia is one I like when it is done right.  Most recipes though, include things like bread crumbs, flour, corn meal, etc.  All of these add a lot of carbs.  I remembered that I used to order pecan-crusted chicken salad at a restaurant which we no longer have locally.  So, I thought I would try it myself.  This went over very well with me and J.  I would like to play around a bit more with the crust to make it stick a little better, but it was good whether I perfect that part or not.

Ingredients:
2-3 tilapia fillets (if you need more, double the recipe)
2 large eggs (If you would like to cut down on some fat, you can use egg whites)
3/4 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup ground pecans (I used a spice grinder)
1/2 cup chopped/crushed pecans (I used a mallet and a plastic zip bag)
salt and pepper
season salt
lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup mayonnaise
lemon wedges (optional)
Olive oil spray

Directions:
Preheat the broiler to high.  In a shallow dish, mix the eggs or add egg whites.  In another shallow dish, combine pecans, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  Sprinkle each fillet with season salt, then dip each in egg, and cover with the pecan mixture.  Then place them on a broiler pan coated with olive oil spray.  Broil each side for 5-6 minutes, or until done. 
Mix together the mayo and lemon juice.  Feel free to sprinkle some lemon juice on top of the fish fillets as well.  If you like, you could add some dill or pickle juice to the mayo sauce.  We don't like dill or pickle juice but many people like that taste with fish.


No comments:

Post a Comment