Sunday, May 20, 2012

Chai Tea Latte at Home

Well, I've been sick the last two weeks so I've been drinking a lot of warm tea to sooth my stomach and my sore throat.  I love the Chai Tea Lattes at Starbucks iced and hot.  I decided to try to recreate them at home since I can't go spend $4 everyday.  They are actually pretty easy.  Not to mention I know all of the ingredients in the tea.  I don't know what kind of craziness they put in those drinks elsewhere.  I have not made an iced one yet although I plan to try that this summer.  For now I will give you the way I make them hot.

This is the recipe I liked the best:
Ingredients:
2 Spiced Chai Tea bags or favorite Chai Tea loose leaf mix (We have a great tea shop near by now so I get a loose leaf mix there.  I can trust the ingredients easier from a local, organic shop.)
2 Tbsp. canned coconut milk
2-3 tsp. sugar or honey (I keep organic sugar and raw/organic/local honey around so I just use what I have on hand)
approximately 16oz of water

Directions:
You can boil or microwave your water.  I try not to use the microwave most of the time but if I'm just making a quick cup of tea I usually put the cup in the microwave or run the water through my coffee maker to get it hot fast.  My coffee maker works faster than my stove.  I also have a tea kettle now.  I've never used a tea kettle until recently but I love having one around.  Anyway, get the water really hot.  Then put the tea in the hot water and let it steep for a bit.  Then remove the tea and stir in the milk and sugar/honey.  Of course, these are the measurements I use but if you want it sweeter or less sweet, you can modify accordingly.  Here is a picture of my latte:


Yes, I just showed you a picture of a cup of tea!  That's probably silly, but I am a visual person and it helps me to see things.


No comments:

Post a Comment