Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mother's Day

So every year I try to do at least a few homemade gifts for some holidays.  This year I got crafty for mother's day.  This is the second year in a row to get crafty on Mother's Day.  I will post some pictures of last year's gifts at the end of this post.  For now I will explain this year's craftiness.  I've never been the artist of the family. My sister got that talent.  Unless it is the art of music, I'm lost.  But I've been trying to change that a little bit when I can.  Part of the reason for this is that I don't like to spend money.  Yes, I'm a tight wad.  Just ask my husband.  This year I saw some yarn wreaths (on Pinterest of course), but most people were selling them, not telling you how to make them.  So I figured it out myself.  Here is what I did:

At first I was looking for foam wreaths at my local Hobby Lobby.  However, they are in the middle of a remodel so it was slim pickin's.  The only foam wreath I found was a circle but it had squared edges.  Well I didn't want corners on my wreaths so I found some straw wreaths.  With a few adjustments to my plans, they worked quite well.

Here is a picture of what I started with:

I bought two, one for each mom.  I used yarn I had laying around.  I used to do plastic canvas so I have tons of yarn laying around.  I just tied one end to the wreath and started wrapping.

Like so:

I wrapped in one continuous wrap although I'm sure you could do it in small pieces too.  Add some ribbon, some cheap fake flowers and some ribbon (using hot glue when needed) and voila:


I was pretty proud of myself.  I know these have been done, but none of this just comes to me easily.

Last years gifts were tote bags with L's hand and foot prints along with some monkey stencils.  We've called L a monkey since her first ultrasound where she was always flipping and moving.  There were three totes:  L's Mama, L's Nana, L's Grandma.


I also made these little card boxes.  I printed her picture on card stock and folded them into a box.


No comments:

Post a Comment