Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Honey Dijon Chicken

**Disclaimer:  I do not measure while cooking and I sloppily measure when baking.  I will give approximate measurements to help others but always taste what you are cooking and modify according to the tastes of you and your family.

Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I use tenders because they are easier for the little to eat, 12-15 tenders)
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (use what amount works best in the pan you are using)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup dijon mustard (I used a little less than this because my family doesn't do spicy well)
1-2 tbsp. spicy mustard (I used about 1)
salt and pepper

Note:  This recipe is not corn-free as is because of the vinegar in the mustards.  I am working on my own recipes for different mustards in order to make this recipe corn-free.  This lifestyle is a constant work in progress.

Directions:
Heat skillet and olive oil.  Pat chicken dry.  Season chicken with salt and pepper.
I have a hint for this.  Put down aluminum foil and fold up the sides to put your raw chicken on.  This keeps any chicken fluids from leaking on the counter or floor and is easier to pick up without it going everywhere.  I don't know about you guys but I make a horrible mess in the kitchen if I don't use conveniences like this.

Here is a picture of what my chicken looked like after salt and pepper but before cooking.

Now put your chicken down in the pan on the seasoned side so you can season the other side while they are cooking.  Cook on both sides until golden brown.  

While the chicken is cooking, make the glaze using the honey, dijon mustard and spicy mustard.  I use a fork to mix them up in the bowl.  Taste it to see what you think.  It is going to be spicy in the bowl but once it is on the chicken it isn't.  So it's okay if it burns a little bit.  It won't when it's done.  If you leave the spicy out then it is just honey mustard and is too sweet.  

Here is what my glaze looked like:


When the chicken is done, put them on plates and immediately brush or spoon on the glaze while the chicken is still hot.  

Here is the finished product:



It has been a huge hit for the somewhat picky eaters in my house.  If you have a picky eater who absolutely does not like the glaze, the plain old salt and pepper chicken satisfied my husband and I put the glaze on everyone else's.  He likes it but just doesn't care for stuff on his chicken so I usually only put the glaze on half of his.  

Mashed potatoes and green beans completed the meal for us.  It could easily be paired with your favorite veggies though.  Green beans are the favorite in our house.  


No comments:

Post a Comment