Thursday, January 3, 2013

Ornament Wreath

Here is one of my many Christmas crafts. They are all over Pinterest and the blogosphere and now it is here too.  Part of keeping a blog is to just keep everything together in one place along with sharing it with others.  I like to share my experience if it could help others but I also like the fact that all of my projects and recipes are in one place for me to go find.  I know exactly how my blog is organized and how to find everything.

Materials (with cost):
wire clothes hanger (Free!  They come with my husbands clean uniform shirts.  We send most back because I hate wire hangers in the closet but I kept a few for projects.)
wire cutters (Free!  My husband is so handy.  He always has the tools I need in the garage.)
duct tape (I can't remember exact cost.  Approximately $2-$3 I used a red duct tape.  Did you know they have a million colors of this stuff now?)
tons of cheap Christmas ornament balls  (I used about 60 and it ended up smaller than I originally planned.  I bought them at the dollar store but by the time I realized I needed more, they were out of every color except gold.  Yuck!  So I made do with what I had.  Originally I spent $6 and had 6 tubes of 10-12 ornaments.  So all in all this is a cheap project.)
big festive bow ($2 at Walmart)
hot glue gun with extra sticks of glue (Free!  I already have a bunch in the drawer at home.)

Directions:
1. Cut off the hook of the wire hanger with the wire hangers.
2. Hot glue the tops on the top of the ornaments.  Trust me, do not skip this step.  I went through and if it was easy to pull the tops off, I hot glued.  But I thought the rest would be okay.  Boy was I wrong.  Every time someone opened the door, an ornament fell.  Most of them ended up hot glued after the fact and I still have 2 ornaments I found while cleaning up decorations.
3. Start stringing the ornaments on the wire hanger.  You will have to move them around to get it to look full. Pack the ornaments on there tight so they don't move and it all looks even.
4. Duct tape the ends of the hanger together to make it a wreath.
5. Attach the big pretty bow to hide the ends and the duct tape.

Voila!


I'm pretty sure I will try this again next year with more ornaments to make it bigger.  But I was pretty happy with how it looked hanging on my door.

No comments:

Post a Comment