Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Fancy Clipboards

I know you guys have seen the clipboards all over Pinterest and other internet sites.  You know the ones I am talking about.   The clipboards that have the pretty paper mod podged on them to personalize them for gifts.  Well last year, I did that.  But I am just now getting them posted.  Yes, I am that far behind on my blogging.  Sad right?  Life is crazy.  Most of you understand...  Three year old... Husband... Job hunting... Substitute teaching... Crazy family members...  Health issues...  Money issues...  You know, LIFE!  So, I thought I would show a picture of my clipboards.  I made one for my sister and one for my mom.  My sister loves dogs.  She is wonderful with them too.  Seriously!  She's like the dog whisperer...  We are dog people but she is the best.  She rescues and fosters.  The dog she owns now, she nursed back to health after she had heart worms and basically had a death sentence.  She trained her and taught her tricks...  Great stuff.  My mom is a music teacher.  She plays the piano beautifully and has been teaching for over thirty years.  She's been one of my biggest helpers and supporters and my life saver with all of the struggles with our little girl's health issues.  Without her, I would have had a nervous/mental breakdown.

On with the project:

Supplies (for making 2):
2 Cheap clipboards
6 pieces of scrapbook paper
bottle of mod podge
sponge brushes

Note:  Make sure you are wearing a shirt or apron you don't mind messing up.  If you get mod podge on it, it isn't coming out.  I learned that the hard way.

Instructions:
Trim the scrapbook paper to fit around all of the fittings of the clipboard.  Spread mod podge (I found the sponge brushes best for this) on the back of the clipboards and carefully smooth the scrapbook paper down on the back.  After this is almost dry, spread mod podge over the top of the paper to create a bit of a gloss.  After the back is completely dry, turn the clipboards over.  Spread the mod podge over the front of the clipboards and smooth the trimmed scrapbook paper down on the front.  (For the front, I picked two different papers.  I put the same paper covering the whole thing as I put on the back.  But then I cut another piece with about a half inch or so around it so you see about a half inch or so border of the same design as on the back but a different design over the rest.  You can see an example in the pictures.)  When the first layer is almost dry, cover it with a layer of mod podge.  If you chose a second design or other designs, go ahead and add those designs on the wet mod podge now.  After those are almost dry, add another layer of mod podge over the top.  Let that dry completely.  More layers of mod podge are a personal preference.




This was my first attempt.  They didn't turn out exactly as I planned.  And the one I did for myself didn't turn out AT ALL!  But, they were cute and usable.  I have better ideas for some in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment