Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Homemade Lotion

Here is the recipe for the lotion I promised after the lotion bars.  My mother in law loves this.  She has circulation problems in her legs and they itch and break out.  This lotion has helped it heal when nothing else has.  I never thought about that when I made it but I'm ecstatic that it helped her so much.  I hope it can help more people too.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup almond oil (if you need to be nut free you can use olive or grapeseed)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/8 cup beeswax
1/2 tsp. vitamin E oil
30 drops essential oil (optional)

Directions:
Add all ingredients to a mason jar.  Add 1-2 inches of water in a sauce pan and put on medium heat.  Put the jar in the sauce pan and shake the ingredients periodically while melting.  When everything is melted and mixed, pour into containers.  I used some squeeze bottles for this lotion.  It seems to be thin enough to use in a pump but I have not tried it that way yet.  If you put it in a jar or container that can't be squeezed, you may need to stir it up after it cools.

I made this for Christmas presents.  I will update later when I know how everyone liked it.  I like it so far.  I've been using coconut oil on my hands and body for awhile but it is a pain to melt every time you need to use it.  This way I can put it in a container and it is ready to use.  It is a little greasy, but I've never found a lotion I thought wasn't greasy or oily.  I have had the best luck squeezing it out onto the back of my hand, then spreading it around so the majority of the oil is on the back of my hand.  If my palms and fingers feel to oily, I usually just grab a dry rag or towel (or if I'm out- a paper towel) and wipe off my palms.  I have really bad excema that flairs up worse in the winter.  My hands will crack and bleed.  And no lotion works.  In fact, most of them burn, break me out, or make the excema worse.  Even the prescription ointments I was given didn't work.  I also have patches on my arms and legs.  I'm lucky that I don't get them on my face like some people I know.  But if you or someone you know has trouble with skin issues or allergies to topical products, this may help them.

I did not come up with this recipe myself, of course.  I did, however, edit the ones I found until it worked for me.  I had four different lotion recipes that I used to change things around until it came out the way I wanted.

I will add pictures next time I make this.  I focused on pictures of the lotion bars and completely forgot about them by the time I did this lotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment