Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce

The beauty of this recipe is that it can easily be halved or doubled.  I halved it for just the three of us because L just doesn't eat much yet so I shared a chicken breast with her.  I don't need a whole one to fill me up.

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves or about 15 tenders
olive oil
salt and pepper
¼ cup chicken broth (watch ingredients)
½ cup canned coconut milk
Dijon mustard (The original recipe called for 2 Tbsp. but as I've said before, I don't measure.  I just added until it tasted right.  But if you measure, this is a good measurement to start with.  Also, with this ingredient, it isn't corn-free and possibly not gluten-free unless you have made a homemade version.  I am working on one of these.)

Directions:
First, I pounded down my chicken breasts.  When chicken breasts are cooked in a skillet, they cook more evenly and easily when they are thinner.  Next add oil to a large skillet and start heating.  Season chicken with salt and pepper to your taste.  Add chicken to skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked thoroughly.  Now the original recipe said to wait to make the sauce until the chicken is done and make it in the same skillet.  I didn't do this because I multitask to get it done.  My family works best on a bit of a schedule and I don't have time to cook in the kitchen all day, so if I can save time I do.  But this is up to you.  While my chicken was cooking, I made the sauce in a separate saucepan.  Pour chicken broth into the pan and start warming.  Then whisk in milk, then mustard, then I added a little bit of pepper.  You can add salt but be careful because between the salt on the chicken and the salt in the sauce, they may not taste salty separately, but they will taste salty together.  So salt sparingly.  Taste the sauce as soon as it gets warm to see if you need anything else.  When the chicken is done, pour the sauce over the chicken or put it on the side for dipping.  I poured mine over the chicken but put J's to the side.  He is pickier about sauces but he liked this one.

Note:  The original recipe called for oregano or terragon in the sauce but I thought those herbs were too strong because the sauce was already very flavorful.  You can find the original recipe HERE.

I served this with a side salad using my homemade buttermilk ranch from my previous post.  You can find that HERE.  I also added a mashed potato for the toddler who is teething so she wouldn't eat much unless it was soft.  She did like the ranch though, and licked it off of the carrots.

And of course, I have pictures.  The first picture is of the toddler plate.  The other one is of the adult plates.



No comments:

Post a Comment