Saturday, June 16, 2012

DIY Adjustment Straps for Toddler Clothes

I recently asked several friends and family members how to keep my toddlers pants up.  She is tall and skinny so I have to buy pants two sizes too big in the waist just to get them long enough.  But she's still too small for the toddler clothes that already have adjustment straps in them.  Well, I set out to figure it out myself.  People who know me personally know that I am so not a crafty person by nature.  I enjoy making things and fixing things, but I'm just not good at it.  I am getting better.  It's true what they say about practice.  It does make you better.  I was pretty proud of myself for this accomplishment.  I went to my local Hobby Lobby and looked around.  I had no idea what I was looking for but I was determined to figure it out.  There was no way I was paying for a tailor for my toddler who constantly changes and grows.  I came across these elastic straps that already had button holes.  Set against a white bag you can see the button holes.


Then I went and bought some buttons that were just a little bigger than the button holes.  I sewed buttons on the inside of the waistband.  One button was sewn just in front of the side seem and one was sewn by the button hole already on the waistband.  I did the same on both sides of the button/zipper of the pants/jeans/skirts/shorts.


Then cut the elastic the same length between the two buttons on each side.  Burn the ends of the elastic or it will unravel.  I learned that the hard way.  Now adjust as needed.  It works great.  This has worked with two pairs of jeans so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment