Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Strawberry Banana Ice Cream

Since we have a corn allergy in the house, we cannot eat store bought ice cream or popsicles.  So I've been experimenting a little.  This is my first successful homemade ice cream.  L loved it.

Ingredients:
1 sliced and frozen banana
1 handful frozen strawberries
2 Tbsp coconut milk (you could use any milk here but this makes it dairy/nut-free)
1 tsp corn-free vanilla extract (I'm still working on corn-free substitutions here; It can be left out)

Blend all ingredients until smooth.  Serve.  This only makes about 1 serving but was plenty for me and L to share.

I always have frozen strawberries on hand because they are easy to buy that way.  I didn't have a frozen banana so the ice cream wasn't quite frozen when it came out of the blender.  I poured it in a bowl and put it in the freezer and by the time dinner was done, it was close to normal ice cream texture.  If you have a frozen banana though, it should come out of the blender like ice cream.

Note:  For those of you with a real sweet tooth who need sugar on your fruit, you may need to add a tiny bit of sugar to this.  I liked it as is but fruit is plenty sweet to me.  But remember, more sugar = less healthy.




No comments:

Post a Comment