Thursday, June 7, 2012

Homemade Baking Soda Air Fresheners

I have been working to find healthier options for air fresheners.  I hate spraying the chemicals from the spray cans around my family and I've always hated the smell.  I also recently read that new studies are showing that scented candles are possibly causing some breathing problems later in life.  And I cannot use soy candles due to hormone issues.  I've been told by multiple sources to minimize my exposure to soy.  So, the only good option for scented candles is expensive beeswax candles.  That's fine now and then but not all the time.  I like to have a great smelling home.  I am working on some sprays using essential oils so stay tuned for those.  But for now, this really works.  This could also be a cute gift.

Ingredients and materials:
small mason jar
¼ cup baking soda
1 tsp. of your favorite scent of essential oil
scrap of material big enough to cover the mouth of the jar
pen
scissors

Instructions:
Take the lid off of the jar and pull the middle out.  Trace around the lid (the part that comes out).  Discard that part of the lid because you won't need it.  I saved mine in a drawer in case I want it later.  Cut about a half inch outside the circle you traced. Pour the baking soda and essential oil into the jar. Stir together.  Put the material over the top and pull as tight as you can and screw on the lid.  I used eucalyptus oil and it smells great.  I've gotten tons of compliments.  I put this one in the bathroom but I will be making more for the kitchen and living area.  When the scent starts to fade, just give the jar a little shake.  I don't know how long it will last until it needs to be replaced but so far mine has lasted for two weeks and I only shook it once.

And of course, here's a picture:



This project was adapted from the recipe HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment